Aix-en-Provence city theatre
Italian-style theatre with 493 seats. Work on the Théâtre d'Aix-en-Provence began in 1756 and it opened in 1787 on the site of a “Royal” Court (apparently Louis XIV played the ball-and-court game “paume” here).
The Town Hall took it over in 1829 and brought Dominique Bluzet in to manage it in October 1996.
The council fully renovated it in 1998 which meant it closed for two seasons and its performances were moved to the Salle du bois de l'Aune. The new theatre opened in May 2000 with the stage curtain designed by artist Gérard Traquandi. The Salle du Jeu de Paume has been listed on the Monuments Historiques annex since 1981.
Disabled facilities: induction loop and wheelchair access.