Formerly part of the countryside outside the city walls, which the flocks passed through in transhumance, today Villeverte is the Sextius district, and the city decided to built a fountain there in order to develop and enhance the area.
In 1683 a successful merchant of Rue des Cordeliers, Jean Baptiste Silvacanne, offered to help with the project. He held the rights to a spring which the fountain could use, and offered this to the city. The only condition he laid down was that of keeping a flow of water for his domestic use, in his home. The city agreed and undertook the construction of the fountain. Armand Excursan, a master fountain-maker of Aix, was assigned the building work.
In 1845, with the increase in traffic, the fountain – like so many others in Aix – was an obstruction, and was moved to the square next to Cours Sextius.
Today it has two basins: a large one, with a low edge, was used by animals during their transhumance, and one on the other side, of human height and in the shape of a shell, allowed the population to draw water.
The basin and the shell are each fed by a bronze mascaron representing a man with a severe expression, his mouth open spewing water. A square block stands on a buttressed base. At its summit is a cast-iron urn placed there in 1848.