Built in 1620, the fountain on Place des Augustins was converted into a public wash-house in 1786.
It was rebuilt by the city in 1820, when it was adorned with a classical column of granite from the Gallo-Roman mausoleum of the Palace of the Counts of Provence.
The base of the fountain is made of very hard Peynier limestone, and the structure was designed by an Aix architect, Mr Beisson.
For many years, in the days of steam locomotives, the water from the fountain was used to fill the station pond in order to supply the Alps trains.
At the top of this column is a 12-branched copper star. It was listed in 1949.