The square is at the crossroads of rue des Tanneurs, rue de l'Aumône Vieille, rue de la Couronne, rue Fermée (closed in 1664 to contain an epidemic of the plague) and rues Brueys and d'Entrecasteaux.
The tanners settled in this district more than two centuries ago, around this three-sided square which has a high flat part on which the fountain was built in 1761 according to plans by Georges Vallon.
It was fed by water from the town hall fountain, but aquatic plants clogged the pipes and it stopped flowing. In addition, the ceramic pipes were too close to the ground and were broken by the traffic at the crossroads, especially horse-drawn vehicles.
Attempts at cleaning and repair were made, but they did not succeed in making it work for long, and the fountain remained inactive for 50 years.
In 1861 the city decided to repair the supply pipes and restore the fountain.
Today it is formed of an octagonal basin whose edges are alternately straight and curved. In the centre is a square base whose corners are rounded into four volutes linked by a garland of flowers in soft stone.
On each of the four sides of the pedestal, the water flows from a cast-iron lion's head gargoyle into the basin with a pleasant sound. A magnificent vase by the sculptor Jean Chastel adorns the top of the monument.
The square, centred around the fountain, has several elm trees which create a shady, restful atmosphere.
It is another place in the city where you can see the beauty of Aix's fountains