In the 18th century the Albertas were one of the city's leading families.
In 1724, Henri Rainaud d'Albertas instructed Laurent Vallon to design the frontage and entrance of his private mansion.
To create an open outlook, between 1735 and 1741 he bought the houses opposite and had them demolished. He wanted a square to be built on the Parisian model of the royal palaces. It was Jean-Baptiste d'Albertas, his son, who continued his work from 1742 to 1746, assigning the project to Laurent Vallon's son Georges.
The fountain in the centre was built in 1862.