Nine Cannons Fountain

Fontaine des Neuf Canons
Fontaine des Neuf Canons
Fontaine des Neuf Canons


The Nine Cannons Fountain was built following the demolition, in 1690, of another fountain which was used as a drinking trough.

Because sheep from Arles passed through the city on their way to their summer pastures, the municipality decided to build a new watering point accessible to animals, with a very low edge.

The architect, however, wanted an aesthetic structure, and the water flows into the large basin from nine outlets (flattened cannons) so that the fountain is both functional and pleasing to the eye.