The first town hall in Aix en Provence stood on Place de l'Annonerie-Vieille.
In the 14th century, after Bourg Saint-Sauveur merged with the City of the Counts, it was moved near the Portail Peint (Painted Gate).
The façade, inspired by Italian palaces, was designed by Pavillon, with the assistance of the sculptors Rambot and Fossé.
The rich ornamentation of the frontage – statues of angels, and busts of counts of Provence and King Louis XIV – has suffered the ravages of time and the Revolution.
The entrance is framed by two double Doric columns linked by an entablature which support a fine wrought-iron balcony dating from 1661.
Each leaf of the wooden door is decorated with a lion's head knocker designed by Pierre Pavillon. This door leads to the square inner courtyard.
At the back is a porch supporting a state balcony.
The twin winding staircases lead to the magnificent Salle des Etats de Provence (House of Representatives). Its decoration, dating from the period between 1716 and 1732, was destroyed in 1792.
The present paintings illustrating the history of the city and of Provence were done between 1899 and 1905.