Taxes on wheat were one of the city's main sources of revenue.
The corn exchange was built in 1759 by the architect Georges Vallon, from a pre-existing building.
He chose the site where the market was regularly held.
The pediment was carved by the sculptor Jean-Pancrace Chastel, and shows an allegory of the Rhône, the Durance and the fertility of the region.
Today the corn exchange houses the post office, some Town Hall offices, and an annex of the Méjanes library