After three earlier churches were destroyed, the present building dates from the 19th century. The bell tower was recently restored and the east and south sides have been cleaned.
Originally a 12th-century parish (dedicated to St Mary).
The church of Châteauneuf traditionally has two patron saints and therefore two festivals: St Anthony the Great (not to be confused with St Anthony of Padua), whose festival falls on 15 January, and the Virgin Mary who is celebrated on 15 August.
Destroyed in the Revolution, it was rebuilt in 1825.