fbpx
Back

Saint-Sauveur cathedral

Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur
Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur

Cathedral

The cathedral was built on the site of a temple to Apollo, so the legend goes, between the 5th to the 18th century.

The variety of its architecture is immediately visible on its frontage: to the right, or south, the 12th-century Romanesque gate adjoins a Roman wall, while to the left (north), the huge, richly carved Gothic gate from the 15th and 16th centuries is surmounted to the north by a bell tower erected between 1323 and 1425.

Inside are three naves of different styles (Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque), which flank the octagonal font which rests on a stand dating back to the 5th century.

Its central basin recalls the ancient rite of baptism by immersion. Crossing the chancel, we reach the cloister, built at the close of the 12th century.

It is a place which breathes tranquillity and elegance. Small in size, built with solid galleries, while the rich and varied decorations of the pillars are inspired by the animal and plant kingdoms, by fantasy and by the symbols of the evangelists.

As for the organ, the green and gold case was built by Jean-Esprit Isnard in 1745 and the instrumental part by De Ducroquet dates from 1855 both are listed historical monuments.

The organ was restored by Jean Dunand in 1972.

Wheelchair users wishing to visit the Cathedral should call the Cathédrale Vivante association on 04 42 23 47 40.

Useful Information

The cathedral is open every day from 8 am to 7.30 pm

⚠ ⚠ Visits are not authorised before 12.30 pm on Sunday mornings.

▶ Visit to the Cloister in winter from 10 am to 12 noon and from 2.30 to 5.30 pm
▶ Visit to the Cloister in summer from 10 am to 12 noon and from 2.30 to 6 pm
▶ On public holidays, the Cloister is not open for visits. Please go to the Côme and Damien chapel at the entrance for a guide.

▶ Opening of the Tryptic:
First Sunday in Advent until Epiphany
Easter Sunday until Whit Sunday
And from the first day of summer (21 June) until the European Heritage Days

▶ The cathedral doors can be seen on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturday mornings, from 11.30 to 12 noon. A guide is on hand for visitors wishing to see the doors (guides office to the right when you enter the cathedral in the Côme and Damien chapel). Brigitte Benet is in charge of visits (04 42 20 84 79, benet.brigitte@free.fr) and can open the doors on request.

Facilities, Services and Conditions

General

  • card shop
  • derived objects (souvenirs etc.).

Activities

  • bookshop
  • concerts
  • exhibitions
  • guided tours

Parking

  • Public car park

Spoken language

  • french

Location