Fonteto, a Provençal word translated into French as fontêtes, means small fountains.
In the Middle Ages, and until 1676, the square, with many houses nearby, had numerous springs of water. Several wells were therefore built there, giving rise to the plural name of small fountains, or fontêtes.
In 1676 the square was paved and the various wells were grouped together to form a single one. However, the development of water technology, and Vallon's plans for the Sextius Baths, meant that the well was not used by the people after 1715.
In 1858 the municipality decided to build a fountain using the Pinchinats water on the site of the former well.
The Fontêtes fountain was named to commemorate the past of its location.
The cube-shaped block of Calissane stone stands in a circular basin and has a gargoyle on each side: two lions' muzzles and two cherubs' heads. Each motif is placed in an arcature surmounted with a wreath of roses.
At the top of the pedestal, a statue of a young Triton sits astride a turtle and blows a horn, free and peaceable. This is actually a replica of the original, made in 1988 (after a theft), by the School of Engineering, always loyal to the fountains of Aix.
Note, however, that the new Triton is already missing an arm…